Start your 2017 employment program with a review of InfoMart’s latest Background Screening Checklist:
- Check for Ban the Box laws in your jurisdiction(s) and industry – there are now federal, state, jurisdiction, and industry-specific Ban the Box laws, which can impact businesses even across jurisdictional lines.
- Review all documents for compliance – applications, policies and procedures, consent and disclosure forms, and adverse action notices should all be reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and include all pertinent screening requirements.
- Retain or destroy records in accordance with regulations – get rid of old data so it doesn’t corrupt new data or violate regulations.
- Review the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and EEOC guidelines – stakeholders should be refreshed on regulations that impact screening and hiring practices at least annually.
- Retrain stakeholders in permissible interview questions – closely related to pre-employment screening, interviewing candidates is a crucial part of the hiring process. However, asking about protected-class information, such as marital status, age, religion, and more, puts companies at risk for legal discrimination complaints.
- Analyze screening and hiring data for any potentially discriminating screening processes – any process that appears to discriminate against applicants based on protected class information could lead to a legal complaint and/or EEOC lawsuit.
- Check your Internet of Things (IoT) infrastructure – is applicant and employee information shared across platforms? If so, do your document collection, reporting, retention and disposal policies translate across all instances of personal data?
- Conduct a security audit – vulnerabilities are identified in corporate systems too often to trust that anti-virus scans will catch potential issues. Security audits can identify problems before malicious bugs or hackers infiltrate.
- Run annual re-screens – just because a candidate’s background was clean at hire doesn’t mean it has stayed clean. Conducting post-hire screenings ensure that your employees remain qualified and eligible to perform their jobs.
- Leverage technology –
- Most companies use multiple software systems to accomplish business processes, but this can cause delays when data needs to be consolidated across sources. Integration capabilities allow systems to exchange information and streamline analysis. InfoMart provides free integration with any HR-XML compliant ATS or HRIS.
- Completing Form I-9 and eVerify processes online decrease time-to-hire. Integrated screening systems, such as InfoMart’s intuitive and web-based WebASAP, can complete the process and store documents for easy access and auditing.
- You can easily and reliably verify an applicant’s identity remotely with authentication and facial recognition software offered by InfoMart.
- Review global processes or partner with international regulation experts – the EU Safe Harbor Framework was invalidated this year, so companies should check their global screening and data sharing policies to ensure they meet the new EU-U.S. Privacy Shield rules. InfoMart’s experts assist global companies with international compliance of their background screening programs.
Connect with me on social media!
About Tammy Cohen:
In 1989, Cohen founded InfoMart, a multi-million dollar pre-employment screening company that provides services to Fortune 500 companies nationwide. InfoMart has numerous “Best Place to Work” awards from various organizations. As a recognized expert in the employment screening industry, Cohen is often referred to as “The Queen of Screen” and was influential in the founding of the screening industry’s first trade association, the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS). Cohen is actively involved in a number of business and civic organizations and has received numerous personal honors, including a commendation in the 152nd Congressional Record, the Entrepreneur of the Year award from YWCA of the USA, an Enterprising Woman of the Year Award from Enterprising Women, and the Phenomenal Women Award from the Siegel Institute.
InfoMart is an industry leader in background screening services, providing businesses the information they need to make well-informed hiring decisions. With more than 26 years in business, InfoMart is a pioneer in developing innovative technology and screening services, from criminal history searches to verifications of employment. Accredited by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS), a designation earned by less than 10% of the industry, InfoMart has also been recognized on Workforce Magazine’s Hot List of Background Screening Providers for 10 consecutive years. The company prides itself on its dedication to customers, innovation, and accurate reporting. For more information about InfoMart, please visit www.infomart-usa.com or call (770) 984-2727.